Saturday, July 10, 2021

Saturday Show and Tell

Before the second half of NBA Week begins I thought I'd squeeze in a recap of all the cards that have arrived at Collector HQ this week. We'll start with the first pair of PWEs for the Swap Meet:

The mysterious Elliptical Man who never provides a last name sent 15 singles, including loads of legends:



I knew Moses Malone was great - but I didn't realize just how dominant he was until researching my 1982-83 "Topps" Basketball set. Tim Hardaway will be a Hall of Famer eventually.. right?



Very nice mix of cards here. Thank you Brendan!


Jeff, author of the blog Wax Pack Wonders, contributed 14 cards:

1980's Fleer! I'm now back up to 32% of thie 1988-89 set, after purging some PSA singles.


These six Reggie Miller cards bump Karl Malone off the top spot in my collection; I have 54 Mailmen and I now have 56 Millers - not including his cameo in the Hardaway card.

Six Hakeem Olajowon cards round out the PWE.Thank you Jeff!


I bought a pair of hockey cards from Harris Sports Cards on eBay:

Tyler Seguin is the 27th card I've added to my 2015-16 Exquisite set build. There are 30 cards in this subset/base set, but try telling that to TCDB. I was excited to add the Whalers logo sticker to my order for $1. Couldn't find it at any of the online retailers I frequent, and no one had it for trade on TCDB.


I tried filling sets through Sportlots. Bandit24 offers free shipping if you order more than 80 cards from him.

I ordered 109.

My 1986 Topps Football set is complete; these are all upgrades. Pat McInally invented Starting Lineup figures.

My wife had about 80 of the 180 cards in the 1994-95 Upper Deck SP insert set and I've nearly completed it for her. I'm down to just 8 needs, with one card on the way from Baseballcardstore.ca.


2013 Topps is almost complete. I just need three Mike Trout cards, the Manny Machado rookie, and nine other randos. 2013 Topps Update is less complete. I'm at about 85% of the 330-card set.

Another very ambitious set build I'll probably never finish - 2018 Topps Chrome. The good news is I've got 61% of the set. The bad news is I still need the Ronald Acuna RC, the Rafael Devers RC, and the Shohei Ohtani RC. Yikes.  The Ron Artest Hoops Decade RC has a roller mark on it. I'll probably have to upgrade.

1995-96 Playoff One on One is another one of wifey's starter sets I'm trying to finish. I've added about 40% of the 2019 Score football set over the past couple of months - and at far less than the cost of a blaster.

I picked out a couple of cards for my team PCs, including a Xander Bogaerts insert and an Aaron Rodgers base card. By the way, every single card in my order was 18 cents.

Except for this Wayne Gretzky sticker from 1985-86 Topps. This was kind of an impulse buy at $3.95.

I made some room in my Hartford Whalers binder (by taking out New Haven cards) so I started filling in those empty slots. Also picked up a couple of Colorado Rockies cards. I might add the Rockies and Scouts to my list of team collections, since they are part of the Devils' lineage.

Made some progress on my 1988-89 Topps set build - but not quite as much as I intended.

How did I manage to order two Rick Vaive cards? I could have filled in another need. Oh well :/


These are all in nice shape, but the Hrudey is way off center on the back. I might have to upgrade that one.

Finally, the main focus of this order was finishing off my 1992-93 Topps Archives basketball set. I needed 15 cards and Bandit24 had them all. They were the first cards I placed in my cart. Everything else was secondary.

Feckin' hell. Gold parallels.

All of them were gold parallels. It's a nice bonus, I guess. But now I have to go get those 15 base cards.


I've already spent the $1.98 in loot (and a $0.36 refund) on more cards from Bandit - but I didn't bother trying to order these again. 


Have you ever received parallel cards when ordering base set fillers? Did you notify the seller?



Thanks for reading!




~


9 comments:

  1. I thought I included my last name on the paper when I signed it. (shrug)

    McDonald wins the round.

    Dawkins and Hawkins were the 76ers' starting backcourt for a while. During the Barkley era.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any cards of Larry Bird would make me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just ordered 2 of the same card in a Sportlots order. Happens all the time. I've never had a seller send me the parallel card when I wanted the base card, but I've definitely ordered a parallel card when I wanted a base card. That's why I like my parallels to be PARALLELS, colored borders, etc., so you know what you're working with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Back in 2019, I bought a 2019 Chrome set that came about ten refractors. The seller did not mention this in the listing, but I didn't complain because one of the refractors was a Vladimir Guerrero Jr. I ended up buying a second set from him (which had more refractors) to build one complete set and one partial. This led me to buy a few more sets from this seller in hopes that he'd toss in a Tatis refractor. He never did, but I ended up building a few 2019 Chrome sets.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Moses deserves to be mentioned more often. The NBA sucks at promoting it's past though, so it isn't likely to happen anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had something similar happen to me with an eBay order, where I got a parallel card of the one base card I really needed. But it was just one card that was messed up, and they were quick to replace it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been meaning to get around to getting more of that NBA Archives set. I thought it was a pretty cool idea to fill in the gaps.

    ReplyDelete